Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hugs

After the completion of the June 2010 session of Freedom Seminars, I arrived home to house guests which had arrived from Florida earlier that day, on of which was my Grandma. She’s getting older and the realization of that has taken hold as I cherish the times we have together, which isn’t very often. Most of my family have always given hugs, but often it’s the “tent hug” or the “granny hug”, when your patted on the back until you want to burp. I welcomed her with a big “Freedom Hug” which I could tell surprised and touched her heart. She didn’t want to let go and neither did I. What a wonderful way to start our visit. I had made a mental list of the things I wanted to do with her during the brief 36 hour stay and we manage to check everything off in rapid succession. As she left, we embraced once more; this time initiated by my Grandma, neither of us ready to say good-bye to the other.

When I was a young teenager, I remember when my Grandpa Hardesty completed the Roots and Wings training. It was unusual to have him here in Missouri; we were often the ones making our annual summer pilgrimage to Oklahoma. I hopped in the car with Dad to take Grandpa to the airport, which was weird anyways, and then Grandpa held on to me the entire time. I can remember thinking, “OK, Grandpa, you’re going to miss your plane if you don’t let go.” I was a willing participant, a little confused, but willing to hold his hand and give him a big Freedom Hug before boarding the plane. I didn’t realize the full significance of that moment in time, but now as a grown woman I will cherish that experience forever.

Giving someone a proper hug is not only a way of greeting or saying good-bye, it’s a way of letting them know that you love and cherish them, that you care deeply about who they are. For some, I believe it can be a way of feeling vulnerable and there fore they are reluctant to share that experience with other. It opens one up to what each has to offer the other in becoming more “in-to-me-I-see” (intimate) with them. It’s amazing how such a seemingly small act can be so powerful and on of the greatest gifts you can ever give another human being.

When was the last time you gave or received a good Freedom Hug? You can take action in creating meaningful relationships with those you care for by sharing this simple yet powerful tool with them. It’s not necessary to explain the reason behind your actions; just let it be and see what happens!

August 2010

Amy Craighead

No comments:

Post a Comment